Mediterranean populations, for whom olive oil is a major component of their diet, have longer life expectancies and lower risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, and Alzheimer's compared with North Americans and Northern Europeans.
Nearly every nutritional expert agrees you need fat in your diet. To absorb vitamins A, D E and K, gain energy and it is essential for growth and development. Saturated fats and Trans fat, as found in butter and margarine are known to raise blood cholesterol levels, increase the risk of heart disease, and contribute to other health problems.
Nutritionists and dieticians strongly recommend that you avoid these fats as much as possible. They raise your LDL (bad) Cholesterol level. They have also been proven to cause depression in fast food and pastry diets.
Using olive oil is not only the healthy alternative to these bad fats but because it is high in monounsaturated (good) fat, olive oil actually helps to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol and therefore prevents coronary heart disease and keeps you healthy and happy.
Only Extra Virgin Olive Oil is full of polyphenols, a type of antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage. Certain polyphenols also have anti-inflammatory properties.
· Prevents coronary heart attacks
· Reduces the risk of strokes
· Is good for bones
· Improves many parts of digestive health
· It is thought to prevent Cancer
· Reduces the risk of Alzhimers and improves cognitive function and memory
· A number of studies have also shown that olive oil may have additional beneficial effects on reducing blood pressure, obesity, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and immune function